The only person who lives that Hug Lyfe more than I do is Shailene Woodley, star of Divergent. She hugs everyone. I mean EVERYONE. Every single reporter, everyone she works with. She is so genuine and lovely and I think the world of her. I asked her for a hug at the end, and she happily obliged, giving me a “heart to heart” hug. Aw.
1. Here is a NSFW parody of The Wolf of Wall Street, starring… the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street, who just can’t get enough cookies. Did I tell you it’s NSFW? Especially the final shot…
2. 300: Rise Of An Empire did just ok at the box office this weekend, making $45m. That is a lot of cash, but I say “just ok”, because the first 300 was a record-smashing $70.9m, eight years ago, and this one is in 3D, so it should be raking it in. That money was enough to grab the number 1 spot though, and it made another $87.8m internationally. But the weekend’s film I’m the most excited about is The Grand Budapest Hotel, which set a box office record for the highest grossing limited live action movie. Wes Anderson‘s film showed on only four screens, but grossed $811,166 – an impressive $202,792 per screen.
3. The posters for Maleficent have been released, and Angelina Jolie looks wicked cool in them. The one on the left is for US markets, on the right is the more colorful less horny one is for international markets. I never understand why they need to be different…
4. Here is the official trailer for The Devil’s Knot, a film I saw at the The Devil’s Knot last year. It’s finally coming to regular cinemas, as is the film version of the famous The Devil’s Knot case, starring Reese Witherspoon who tries her best to look dumpy but still is beautiful. Colin Firth also stars, but he will always be Mr Darcy to me.
5. And here is a deleted scene from American Hustle, featuring Jeremy Renner’s Carmine singing on stage. I really liked American Hustle, but didn’t think it deserved all the Oscar nominations it got. But seeing how it did, it feels weird to me that Jeremy was completely left out of all awards talk for the film. Don’t you agree?
I’m sick. Again. But Kermit and Miss Piggy made me feel so much better with this lovely air hug. Though the whole time I was interviewing them I was thinking, “Do not throw up on the Muppet. Do not throw up on the Muppet. Do not throw up on the Muppet…”
1. It seems like a million years ago, but last year I got to visit the set of Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For in Austin, Texas. The actual set was just a load of green screen, but it was quite amazing to see how director Robert Rodriguez has built everything he needs in the one spot. Troublemaker Studios has space for every single department you need on a film, from costumes and props to poster and opening titles design. It even has an art space, with a teacher on hand, in case the actors feel like being creative in their down time. Finally, we can see the trailer, and this is heaven for anyone who is a fan of this style, like me. After a few delays Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For will be out August 22.
2. Speaking of delayed movies, here’s a new trailer for Grace Of Monaco, starring Nicole Kidman. The film has already had a few different release dates, thanks to a few disagreements between The Weinstein Company and director Olivier Dahan. It will finally premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.
3. There have been many spoofs of the now famous Oscar Selfie since the broadcast last weekend, but here’s one I love. A Lego Oscar Selfie, via Lego’s official Twitter account. I think it’s funny that the only mini figs they had on hand for Bradley Cooper and Lupita Nyong’o‘s brother have angry faces on them. Grrr.
4. Staying on Lupita and Oscar news, and apparently her tip to the pizza guy of some lip balm has been very good for business. The Clarin’s HydraQuench Lip Balm was trending on twitter straight after the world saw she uses it, and now apparently it’s almost sold out here in the US. If you see some, buy it in bulk and sell it on eBay!
5. And apparently Jude Law is close to signing a deal to star in Melissa McCarthy‘s upcoming female spy spoof, Susan Cooper, alongside Rose Byrne and Jason Statham, who have already been cast. The film will be directed by Paul Feig, who was behind Bridesmaids and The Heat, and apparently will have the same kind of tone as The Heat, with a possible spin off franchise…
1. The full trailer for Annie is out and the concensus is… Cameron Diaz looks pretty silly in it. This updated version has Quvenzhané Wallis as little orphan Annie, Jamie Foxx as politician Will Sacks, and Diaz as Miss Hannigan. But while Quvenzhané and Jamie seem to be playing this for realism, Cameron appears to be in a whole different movie.
2. The nominees for this year’s MTV Movie Awards have been announced, with American Hustle and The Wolf Of Wall Street in front, getting 8 nominations each. But who, you ask, is up for the most important award – Best Kiss?? Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Scarlett Johansson for Don Jon, Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller for The Spectacular Now, Emma Roberts, Jennifer Aniston and Will Poulter for We’re The Millers, James Franco, Ashley Benson and Vanessa Hudgens for Spring Breakers… and Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams for American Hustle. Important. The full list of nominees are here…
3. Aw, here is a sad story. Brave little BatKid was supposed to appear at the Oscars, but was cut from the show at the last minute! Apparently he had rehearsed a segment with Spiderman Andrew Garfield (how awesome would that have been?) but according to an Academy spokesperson, “because of the fluid nature of live TV production, ultimately the segment didn’t work.” Because, you know, they had to devote 13 minutes to pizza.
4. Apparently Oscar and Best Hair (probably) winner Jared Leto still hasn’t seen Dallas Buyers Club. I asked him about it at the Toronto Film Festival in September last year, and he said he couldn’t see it yet because he was still too close to it. That seems to still be the case, with Jared telling Ellen on her show, “I have not seen the film yet. I think one day I will watch it, because, you know, I’ll be curious at some point. But it was such an intense role. It’s better for me to just leave it alone right now.”
5. I remember a few years back interviewing director Cary Fukunaga for a print story on his version of Jane Eyre, and thinking ‘woah, who is this insanely smart and charismatic guy?’ And it seems now that he’s doing True Detective, the world is catching Cary fever. Vulture lists all the reasons why you should be into him, and I love this interview with him on The Daily Beast, where he reveals he texts his feelings via Cary Grant GIFs. Love.