I’m sick. Again. But Kermit and Miss Piggy made me feel so much better with this lovely air hug. Though the whole time I was interviewing them I was thinking, “Do not throw up on the Muppet. Do not throw up on the Muppet. Do not throw up on the Muppet…”
1. It seems like a million years ago, but last year I got to visit the set of Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For in Austin, Texas. The actual set was just a load of green screen, but it was quite amazing to see how director Robert Rodriguez has built everything he needs in the one spot. Troublemaker Studios has space for every single department you need on a film, from costumes and props to poster and opening titles design. It even has an art space, with a teacher on hand, in case the actors feel like being creative in their down time. Finally, we can see the trailer, and this is heaven for anyone who is a fan of this style, like me. After a few delays Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For will be out August 22.
2. Speaking of delayed movies, here’s a new trailer for Grace Of Monaco, starring Nicole Kidman. The film has already had a few different release dates, thanks to a few disagreements between The Weinstein Company and director Olivier Dahan. It will finally premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.
3. There have been many spoofs of the now famous Oscar Selfie since the broadcast last weekend, but here’s one I love. A Lego Oscar Selfie, via Lego’s official Twitter account. I think it’s funny that the only mini figs they had on hand for Bradley Cooper and Lupita Nyong’o‘s brother have angry faces on them. Grrr.
4. Staying on Lupita and Oscar news, and apparently her tip to the pizza guy of some lip balm has been very good for business. The Clarin’s HydraQuench Lip Balm was trending on twitter straight after the world saw she uses it, and now apparently it’s almost sold out here in the US. If you see some, buy it in bulk and sell it on eBay!
5. And apparently Jude Law is close to signing a deal to star in Melissa McCarthy‘s upcoming female spy spoof, Susan Cooper, alongside Rose Byrne and Jason Statham, who have already been cast. The film will be directed by Paul Feig, who was behind Bridesmaids and The Heat, and apparently will have the same kind of tone as The Heat, with a possible spin off franchise…
1. The full trailer for Annie is out and the concensus is… Cameron Diaz looks pretty silly in it. This updated version has Quvenzhané Wallis as little orphan Annie, Jamie Foxx as politician Will Sacks, and Diaz as Miss Hannigan. But while Quvenzhané and Jamie seem to be playing this for realism, Cameron appears to be in a whole different movie.
2. The nominees for this year’s MTV Movie Awards have been announced, with American Hustle and The Wolf Of Wall Street in front, getting 8 nominations each. But who, you ask, is up for the most important award – Best Kiss?? Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Scarlett Johansson for Don Jon, Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller for The Spectacular Now, Emma Roberts, Jennifer Aniston and Will Poulter for We’re The Millers, James Franco, Ashley Benson and Vanessa Hudgens for Spring Breakers… and Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams for American Hustle. Important. The full list of nominees are here…
3. Aw, here is a sad story. Brave little BatKid was supposed to appear at the Oscars, but was cut from the show at the last minute! Apparently he had rehearsed a segment with Spiderman Andrew Garfield (how awesome would that have been?) but according to an Academy spokesperson, “because of the fluid nature of live TV production, ultimately the segment didn’t work.” Because, you know, they had to devote 13 minutes to pizza.
4. Apparently Oscar and Best Hair (probably) winner Jared Leto still hasn’t seen Dallas Buyers Club. I asked him about it at the Toronto Film Festival in September last year, and he said he couldn’t see it yet because he was still too close to it. That seems to still be the case, with Jared telling Ellen on her show, “I have not seen the film yet. I think one day I will watch it, because, you know, I’ll be curious at some point. But it was such an intense role. It’s better for me to just leave it alone right now.”
5. I remember a few years back interviewing director Cary Fukunaga for a print story on his version of Jane Eyre, and thinking ‘woah, who is this insanely smart and charismatic guy?’ And it seems now that he’s doing True Detective, the world is catching Cary fever. Vulture lists all the reasons why you should be into him, and I love this interview with him on The Daily Beast, where he reveals he texts his feelings via Cary Grant GIFs. Love.
In episode 18 of Malone’s Movie Minute(s) podcast I am all alone while my buddy Osher Günsberg travels the world doing exciting new projects! So listen to my little Aussie voice as I tell you what you should spend your money on in cinemas this weekend, namely The Grand Budapest Hotel in the US, In A World in Australia, Blood Brother on Netflix, and if you like Wes Anderson movies, my fave is The Darjeeling Limited. What’s yours?
Click this link to listen and subscribe:
1. How cute is this picture from Entertainment Weekly of Angelina Jolie‘s little daughter Vivienne? The now 5 year-old has a role in Maleficent, and Angelina told EW that though she and Brad don’t want their kids to be actors, Vivienne was the only kid who wasn’t terrified of her in that costume! She says, “We think it’s fun for our kids to have cameos and join us on set, but not to be actors. That’s not our goal for Brad and I at all, but it had to be a child that liked me and wasn’t afraid of my horns and my eyes and my claws. So it had to be Viv.”
2. This breaks my heart. According to an article in The New Yorker, Captain Phillips star and Oscar nominee Barkhad Abdi is struggling to make ends meet. The film has made $200m globally, but the first time actor was only paid the standard wage, $65,000, and that was two years ago. Since then he’s survived on per diems given to him when promoting the film, borrowed clothes and lifts from friends. Hopefully with the Oscar attention he’ll land a lucrative role!
3. I went along to the premiere of 300: Rise Of An Empire last night, to cover it for my show Film Junkies on BiteSizeTV. There I had my teen dreams realized when “Drazic” from Heartbreak High (Callan Mulvey) remembered me from an earlier interview, and kissed me on the cheek. TWICE. Heaven. Also looking divine were the gorgeous Eva Green and Lena Headey, who make me want to dye my hair dark brown/black… (via Lena’s instagram)
4. Poor John Travolta… (now there’s a phrase I didn’t think I’d say!) since mangling Idina Menzel‘s name at the Oscars, he’s been the butt of all sorts of jokes (this Travolta-ize your name website is pretty funny) and he says he feels bad about the stuff-up. The actor put out a statement, saying, “I’ve been beating myself up all day. Then I thought…what would Idina Menzel say, She’d say, ‘Let it go, let it go!’ Idina is incredibly talented and I am so happy Frozen took home two Oscars Sunday night!”
5. And here is your first look at the new version of Annie, thanks to this voice-over heavy teaser on Entertainment Tonight. We’ll get the full look when the trailer comes out tonight, but for now, we can see that Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis looks all sorts of adorable in the title role…